Protecting Your College Student’s Property

While you already have enough to worry about when your child leaves for college, you don’t want the specter of them dealing with the theft or damage of their possessions while there.

For about $150 a year, you can protect your child’s possessions against theft or damage caused by fire, lightning, smoke, vandalism, electrical surges, windstorms or hail, water damage from utilities or appliances, and more. The same insurance also provides liability protection for students living off-campus.

Considering that a laptop can cost anywhere from $500 to $2,000, that $179 premium to replace such items doesn’t seem so bad.

Also, your child likely has a number of other expensive items, such as a smart phone, TV, tablet, computer, printer, furniture, clothes, jewelry or bike. In other words, plenty of pricey stuff.

What kind of insurance does your student need?

Renter’s insurance, but they may not need it — depending on your current insurance coverage.

An added benefit of purchasing a renter’s policy in the student’s name is that any claims filed will not be on the record of the your policy.

Some insurers allow students rooming together off campus to purchase a joint renter’s policy, whereas others require that each student has renter’s insurance.

Does your homeowner’s policy cover your child?

Homeowner’s policies typically cover the belongings of students younger than 26 who live away from home and are enrolled in classes. But policies vary, so call us to learn the specifics of what is and isn’t covered in your own policy.

But if you rely on a coverage extension from your homeowner’s policy, your student would have limited coverage on their possessions, as most policies limit the amount of insurance to 10% of the total coverage for personal possessions. Some possessions, like jewelry, electronics and computers, may have coverage limits.

If your child lives off-campus, the possibility exists that their personal property will not be covered by your homeowner’s policy.

How much coverage would I need?

Ask your child to create an inventory of the items they have at college. From that you can make an informed decision about the amount of coverage they need and whether any specific endorsements (like jewelry coverage) should be purchased.

Creating an inventory is easy. An Internet search will provide inventory templates that your child can fill out and send home to keep off-site. Your child can also use a free iPhone or Android inventory app called myHOME

Back up this written list with photos or videos of valuables.

How else can you protect your kid’s belongings?

Aside from purchasing insurance, here are some common-sense tips you can share with your child.

  • Tell your college student to engrave their electronics and other possessions with their name and phone number or mark items with an invisible permanent marker – a simple action that can help police validate stolen items.
  • Keep digital copies of store receipts for high-ticket items.
  • Tell your child and their roommates to lock their dorm room door every time they leave the room. They should also store valuables like wallets and keys out of sight as a habit.
  • If they have something really valuable they can do without, ask them to leave it at home.
  • Tell your child not to leave their backpack, laptop or other possessions unattended in dining halls, in the library or anywhere on campus, including in classrooms. Use a laptop security cable to deter thieves.

It’s easy to gamble and say no to insurance. But for an average rate of under $15 a month, you can get peace of mind, and if the unexpected happens, you’ll be covered.

BGES Group’s office, located in Larchmont, NY is a full service insurance agency offering, Property, Liability, Umbrella Liability, Business Auto, Bid & Performance Bonds, Inland Marine, Worker’s Compensation, New York State Disability, Group Health, Life insurance, Personal lines and Identity Theft.

Special Contractor Insurance Programs (NY, NJ, CT) – We we have 60+ insurance companies to market your general liability, umbrella liability, business auto, workers compensation, bid & performance bonds and group health coverages. We help contractors set up proper risk transfer. If you’re a contractor we offer extensive information about insurance markets, coverages, risk transfer, subcontractor screening, ways to lower your insurance costs.

BGES Group are Worker’s Compensation Specialists for the States of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut – Issues we address: 1) Lowering pricing – we have specialty programs that can save you up to 40%; 2) Finding a new company; 3) Replacing policies that are being cancelled or non renewed; 4) Audit disputes; 5) Company creating fictitious payroll at audit time; 6) Lowering high experience modifications factors; 7) Misclassification of payrolls; 8) Lowering or eliminating renewal deposits;  9) Getting coverage when you’ve been without for a few months; 10) Covering multiple states under one policy; 11) Eliminating 10% service or policy fees; 12) Timely issuance of certificates; 13) Always being able to get someone on the phone or by email when you need to.

 If you would like to speak with us call Gary Wallach at 914-806-5853 or click here to email or click here to visit our website.

Company: BGES Group, 216A Larchmont Acres West, Larchmont, NY 10538



© – Copyright – 2021 – BGES Group

Posted in Uncategorized.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *